Monday, October 10, 2011

My phone my phone. My kingdom for my phone

I love my phone. It's the one thing I own that is ONLY mine. Private. When someone is trying to get a hold of ME; this is the number they call. The number for the house is for everyone. When someone wants to send ME a message; this where it comes to. When I leave the house I always have it with me. I'm able to have more freedom because  I always have a link. When I ride my bike, my kids always have a way of getting in touch with me. All my settings and apps are mine. Personalized the way I like it. There's nothing on there that's for someone else.


I'm not sure if this is a healthy attachment but; it is what it is. I'm a SAHM (stay at home mom) who doesn't make any of her own money. I don't pay the bills, and don't have any income coming in. Somehow everything in this house is community property. Even my shoes and purses and clothes have started to make their way into my daughter's closet.

I'm not sure if it's this "mid-life crisis" I'm going through that's making me so possessive of things I consider mine? I find myself clinging to it like a security blanket; giving anyone who even looks at it, the evil eye. I've dressed it up in pretty covers and sometimes it even rests inside my bra (when I ride my bike or have no pockets) on the left side. Yup!Right next to my heart.

It has become my link to everyone. Not just to my family but to my friends as well. It is where I am ERIN. Not mom, or wife, or daughter or any other label. Just ME!  Maybe this is all very irrational but that's where I'm at right now. A friend just recently dropped her phone in water and is now without until..........who knows? I'm not sure how well I could handle that. Immediate action would have to be taken to get me reconnected with the world. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. Maybe it's a sign of the times. I know there are so many opinions about technology and it's effect on us. God knows we could all use a little more simplicity in our lives but...........................!
Maybe it sounds like I need an intervention but.....really I'm ok with it right now. When I find something else that is just mine ; maybe I can replace my phone?

3 comments:

  1. I know. I feel like I am missing a part of my brain. Yoiks. That's a fairly intimate connection with a corporation, isn't it? I've let Apple inside my very thought patterns.

    You are you, Erin. Phone or no. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from a fellow sahm, i hear ya'! IT'S MINE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my phones are a curse! Yes, I said phoneS...I have 2 Blackberrys attached to my person at all times...work and personal... I sometimes wish I could be "uncontactable" (word that Dan made up).

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them!