Wednesday, January 19, 2011

changing a lifestyle

We spend a lot of time using electronics in this house. We all have fb accounts except my youngest child. We have an Xbox 360 Kinect, wii, iTouches, iPhones, DS and of course televisions.I realize that too much time in front of a screen is not good for you but......When you live in Alberta in the winter months; there isn't a lot to do.When it's warm outside, of course it's easy to hop on your bike and go for a ride. Going for a walk in the summer is a no brainer.When it is -30 something with the windchill, your options are limited. I think computers are an essential part of our kids upbringing. It  never used to be so important but ....you really need to have some computer "know how" to do ANY job these days. When our children get into the work force I foresee that computers will be even MORE prevalent!My children are very computer savvy and have passed me in many ways. I AM grateful for that! Their information acquired now will serve them well in the future. We just can't get away from that! It's a fact people!That being said.....It's time to insert some other activities in their lives. I know that there are even some adults whose interests lie wholly in computers and technology but we all know that a well rounded person is the happiest.


While I was at rehearsal last night and my husband was at a meeting; our times overlapped and the kids were left home alone for about an hour. They were to practice their piano lessons. That was the only thing they had to do. When I got home, I found the two boys on the computers and Olivia in front of the t.v. The following events were not pleasant. Dad came home shorty after and words were had. To make a long story shortER.....Benjamin got up this morning and told me that he was done with the computer until February. As of today after school he is going to practice his piano and draw. I was very impressed. It even motivated me. I think I need a little intervention when it comes to the computer. Between facebooking, blogging and playing 'cityville'.....I spend a lot of time on the computer. So I have decided to give myself TIMES of the day to do these things.One rule I have implemented  is, that I will NOT be on the computer while the kids are at home and awake!That's a good start. We'll see how it goes. I'm not knocking the computer or fb or blogging! These are all important things in my life. It's a way for me to socialize and stay connected, and to also vent and have a creative outlet. Please don't misread this post as bashing this technology in any way. This is part of our lives people! the 21st century stops for no one!!!! BUT....everything in moderation. I feel this should be applied in EVERY part of our lives. Technology in this house has NOT been in moderation for quite a while! This needs to change! We'll work on that for a while and see what else comes up.

1 comment:

  1. Good one Erin! I agree! I have actually been practicing that a lot lately, altho it has not been a "rule". My kids have had to compete with my computer for too long ...

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them!