Friday, December 30, 2011

Resolution #2



While sitting around the table after dinner, on boxing day, so began the discussion of New Year's Resolutions. I must admit that I started it because I was searching. I have all the regular ones, like lose some weight, eat healthier, exercise more, be kinder, less computer more people, etc, etc. I wanted something more profound. Not so self centered. Focusing on self is good, but there has to be balance. I have a friend (really I do) who says she's going to make 52 meals this year and deliver them to those in need. Whether they are in financial need, emotional need, spiritual need....whatever. She is going to make a meal a week and spread the love. I know she'll do it too, because that is just the person she is. This touched me greatly. I, too, want to do something like this. I want to help. I want make a difference. I want to spread the love. Share what I can. I know this is something we all crave. I don't know how to do this.


We have a Jesus stocking that we use at Christmas time. I tell the kids that every time they do something nice for someone, to write it down and put it in the Jesus stocking.What else would Jesus want for his birthday, but kids spreading good deeds? There were little pieces of paper in the sock this year.Good deeds done and hidden in a sock for Jesus. I'm taking my cue from the sock. I can't think of a single thing to do for the entire year; but I can think of many.


Of course on a daily basis I always try to be kind to others. Hold doors where I can, smile to those I feel need it that day, offer kind words, help carry bags, etc.....But for 2012, I'm going to try and make a point of going out of my way to do something for someone else, every week. At least once a week I'm going to offer help where I perceive a need. Sounds easy enough. I know this to not be true.

I live in a small town and there are no soup kitchens to volunteer at or homeless people sleeping in the streets. Although this is not out of my reach (and will be considered), finding ideas to do locally might be limited. Also, some people are proud and don't want help. I need to be careful with that.There's no saying that some kindnesses can't be repeated. Indeed, some WILL be repeated.

I'm going to get my children involved. They are at that critical age and I'm going to seize the moment. That's another resolution of mine ~ to set a better example for my children. It'll kind of be like "random act of kindness day", but for the whole year. I think we can accomplish great things together. If you have any ideas that you would like to share, for spreading love and kindness, please leave them with your comments. And feel free to join in. I'm not the first to do this and won't be the last. Let's make 2012 the best year EVER!

I had  let it be known this past month, that my favorite song for the season was, "An Instrument of Peace" by the Canadian Tenors. I heard it on another friends' blog, and loved it immediately. I have since bought the whole album. When we went to church on Christmas Eve, the entire homily delivered by a visiting priest, was about being an Instrument of Peace. I figured that was some sort of sign. It seems only fitting that this be the song for this particular post. ~ Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! All the best Erin. You are light in that town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. make your world and everything in it a better place than it was last year. it's all encompassing and in trying to do so, you have to become better too in order to make it happen ie. better begets better. :) that's always my resolution. try it. it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to see off the past year - making the next year better for others! Good resolution! Inspirational for all of us reading it too

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them!